Monday, January 07, 2008

Great Innings Grandpa

My Grandpa undertook the journey to his heavenly abode last friday. He was 99. When i first heard the news I was really upset,however over the weekend it dawned on me how wonderful a life he had lived. A complete and fulfilling life which any one would desire.

A man from a century behind us- he had seen it all. The life he has seen is something we read in the history books of today.Life under the British colonial India, Indian uprising under Gandhi and the Indian Independence - Lived under the world's first democratically elected Communist rule-Wars with Pakistan and China the slow and steady emergence of India as a superpower after the opening up of the Indian economy.

Although knowing him one of his favorite moments would have been the introduction of Television and telecasting of Live Cricket in India. The other passion of his life that i had seen was his garden. I had the privilege of living with my grandparents for a few years during my growing years and I vividly remember how precious his garden was for him and how many hours of toil he put into it.The times spend playing cards with my grandparents(No one could best my Gramdma)are one of the most wonderful little memories I keep treasured in my hearts.

He had played umpteen roles - Teacher/Administrator, Businessman,Husband, Father,Freedom Fighter,Grandfather,Great Grandfather,Gardener,Cricket enthusiast. Great Innings Grandpa and like one of your favorites Sachin Tendulkar you too picked up "the habit" of missing your century.Well played.

No comments: